Friday, October 10, 2014

A Purse to Remember

 Have you ever been watching a picture and realized that you OWN one of the props or wardrobe pieces that they used? This happened to me last week while watching An Affair to Remember on Netflix.
 Look closely at the above photograph from the picture. The small, gold purse on the table is the exact purse that I own.
 Okay, maybe it's not the EXACT one shown here and carried around by Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr, but it is definitely the same model from the same company.

 This is my gold purse. Unless that lady at the Power of the Past was Deborah Kerr, and I highly doubt that she would be at a dinky get together in Indiana, then this is simply the same purse from a different owner. 
 The lady that sold it to me said that she had owned it back in the 50's and that these sorts of purses were all the rage. I believe I paid $40 for this purse. It is in mint condition, so I felt it was well worth it.
 Now let's take a closer look at both purses together.
 As seen here, they are both gold and the one from the picture even appears to have the lines in it. Both have a gold cord-like handle. If you look closely in the photo from the picture, you can make out two bumps at the bottom of the purse which I believe to be the two crystal embellishments at the bottom of my purse. And if you look even closer, there appears to be a bump at the center top in the same place where the large crystal embellishment is on my purse.

 So, what do you think? Same purse or not? 

 Oddly enough, I had a similar close call while watching Mad Men. I noticed that Betty Draper was carrying a white purse that looked just like one I had had on my wishlist for years. When I checked that item, I had seen that it had sold. I often wonder if it was that same purse that I almost bought.






No comments:

Post a Comment