Thursday, December 11, 2014

Princess Peggy Dress Company

 If there is a tag inside of a vintage garment that I purchase, I usually look it up. This time around I have discovered a pretty neat company!
 I don't have any 'fancy' pictures of the dress right now. It's a spring dress and it's currently winter. So until spring all I have are a few pictures that have been taken with my phone. I couldn't keep this story hidden until spring!
The Dress:

Outfit Details:
Cardigan: Cherry Canary
Dress: A.Z. Vintage
Shoes: B.A.I.T. Footwear


 It's made of light cotton fabric with a blue and green water color floral print. The keyholes at the neckline are what really make this dress adorable. I picked up this beauty at A.Z. Vintage. If you've read my past posts, you will know that A.Z. is my favorite local vintage clothing shop. (In fact the owner has invited me to her house's 50th birthday party this weekend, but that's a whole different story.) Anyways, when I got it home I decided to research the label that was on the tag. The tag said "Princess Peggy" in purple writing and had an attractive woman's face embroidered on it.
A photo of a label that looks like the one on my dress from the Vintage Fashion Guild.
Although it says late 40's, I think my dress looks to be more early 60's.
Who is Princess Peggy?
 Princess Peggy started in 1929 as a line of affordable house dresses produced by the Chic Manufacturing Company in Peoria, Illinois. Prior to this time the company had been making aprons since 1906. I found out that the attractive face on the label was Princess Peggy. Princess Peggy wasn't a real person. She was, however, the face of the company. 
An advertisement from the 50's for their line of aprons.

What's so cool about Peggy?
Okay, okay. Here's the cool part: Princess Peggy used small mannequins and sample dresses to display their product. These mannequins easily fit on a store counter.
So blonde.
So happy.
 The sample dresses were high quality, miniature versions of the dresses the company sold. I tried to find the sample version of my dress, but had no luck. 
They are all so lovely! I'll take one of each in my size!
 Today, the dresses and mannequin have become a collector's item. The only mannequin for sale that I could find was on Ebay for $999, but it did not sell. Even then it was a Princess Peggy mannequin on a Luxite base. As for the dresses, there is one on Ruby Lane currently for $125 and one on Etsy for $75 (with a stain).
Notice the mannequin on the counter? Yes, all of those ladies are purchasing Princess Peggy dresses!

 Princess Peggy went bankrupt in 1975. Because of their everyday wear as house dresses, Princess Peggy dresses are relatively rare finds. Their prices range from $48 (what I paid) to upwards of $200.
 Now I have to ask, have you ever researched a label and found out something cool about the company?







No comments:

Post a Comment